Tuesday, February 25, 2014

BABY ITS COLD OUTSIDE...

Stopping By the Woods on A Snowy Evening
by Robert Frost
(one of my favorite poems)


Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


Those of you who live in warm climates might not be able to relate, but here in the Rocky Mountains it gets COLD... really, really cold. I have suffered through a lot of winters. My kids always had layers of down and boots and scarves and mittens because they had to go to school.  Not me... I'm a "home-body."  I stayed indoors by the fire, borrowed someone's parka to dash to the mailbox and counted the days until Spring. Now that I'm teaching again part of my job is  to "man the crosswalk" after school. I knew it was time to get the gear!  To my surprise I can now stand in subzero weather and be happy as a little clam on the beach. 


IT'S ALL ABOUT THE GEAR!



The essentials ...

UGGS - They will keep your feet warm... end of story. They are expensive but you can't put a price on warm toes and they last forever!


HAT & GLOVES - I love mittens but for the really cold times I wear gore-tex-thinsulate gloves... bought them at Cosco for $10.00

The Olie Shearling Hat $89.95
Here is a link to hats that will actually keep your head warm and it comes in L and XL for those of us with big heads. 


SILK THERMALS -They are, ounce for ounce warmer than wool, nice and flexible, and decidedly warmer than cotton thermals.


THE SCARFI am honestly surprised at how much warmer I am with a scarf around my neck.  I wouldn't be caught without one. The bigger and chunkier the better.



THE COAT - I have been wearing Eddie Bauer down for years but when faced with spending 30 minutes in negative 10 degree weather I googled "warmest coat on the planet."  This is what popped up...


CANADA GOOSE MYSTIQUE. I have never read a bad review so I took the plunge only to find out it runs small and it was too tight across my shoulders. I had to send it back for a bigger size. The best place to buy this coat is on Amazon... you will save the tax and the shipping and that's a lot of money. This price tag is not for the faint of heart ($750.00)  Its worth it to be warm.




THE BEAUTY OF WINTER



With my creature comforts taken care of I can focus on the beauty of WINTER. It can hold its own against any season. I love being out in it. Maybe I should take up skiing... or just go for a walk.



No comments:

Post a Comment