THE "RED - EYE" TO NEW YORK CITY
One last story about Aundrea...
What do you do on a Friday night when you don't have any plans? Well... if "the dad" is a commercial pilot, you grab an empty suitcase and catch the RED-EYE to New York City. More than once Aundrea and her girls did just that. Sleeping on the plane, they arrived early the next morning and, with their budget in mind, set out shopping for knock-off handbags, watches and jewelry. Of course they found something fun to eat... frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity. By 8:00 pm they were on a plane home. What a whirlwind... its always a party with Aundrea!
A favorite recipe at Aundrea's house.
- 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon or water
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fit piecrust into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp.
- Sprinkle pecans and chocolate evenly onto bottom of piecrust; set aside.
- Combine corn syrup and next 3 ingredients in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together eggs and next 4 ingredients. Gradually whisk about one-fourth hot mixture into egg mixture; add to remaining hot mixture, whisking constantly. Pour filling into prepared piecrust.
- Bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until set; cool on wire rack.