Sunday, February 2, 2014

 A WEIGHTY MATTER!

There's not much I can say about women and weight that hasn't already been said.  But for me, life had taken it's toll.  Six pregnancies, starving, binging, walking, running, weight up, weight down, stress, and then more stress.



About a year and a half before my life exploded I decided I was going to take my body back.  I had been thinking about it for a while but I always put it off with one more interesting thing to eat.  When the "light" finally went on I realized an important fact...


IT WAS MINE FOR THE TAKING!



In other words, if I wanted it I could have it.  I just had to make better choices.  I followed a few very simple rules.

1. I only ate when I was hungry
2. I only ate until I was just satisfied
3. I gave up white flour and white sugar.
4. I cheated on Sundays, I allowed myself two bites of something forbidden! (I remember holding a bite of pecan pie in my mouth, I didn't want to swallow it... It tasted so good!)
5. I thought like a "thin" person. I ate to LIVE.

It worked.  I lost 70 pounds over the next year. Losing weight was like getting out of jail.  I could move, I could sleep, I looked good in clothes and my self confidence skyrocketed.  I was no longer embarrassed to go places. In fact I could hardly wait to go somewhere.

Eighteen months later I was suddenly single and on my own. I had to present myself and get back into the workplace. Whether it's right or wrong, we judge each other by our appearance. The divorce shook me to my very core and I more than needed to feel good about myself again. It helped to be able to look in the mirror and say. "I'm still here and I'm lookin' good.  I can go out there, I can find a job and I can take care of myself."

I have kept the weight off for almost nine years. But as I have aged and faced some health issues I have made some pretty drastic changes in what I eat.



I went GLUETIN FREE for a while but I am not a celiac and I eventually went back to some bread. Then I made a huge change... I began to eat a PLANT BASED DIET. I think that's code for VEGAN.

It was incredibly HARD.  I thought I would starve to death before I discovered almond butter. I grind it myself and slather it on FUJI apples I get from a local farmer... YUM!  Who knew there was such a thing as quinoa and hummus and so many varieties of rice. With bags full of fruit and veggies from the local farmer's market I began to eat straight from the earth.

Do I feel better ? OH YES!!!! So many annoying little symptoms have disappeared.







I am not a purist and I do try to listen to my body. If I am really craving protein I will eat a piece of fish. Good fish is hard to find! There are several companies in Alaska that will catch it and have it on your door the next day. It is very expensive but you can save with a group order and you get FREE shipping.

 (google fresh Alaskan fish)




My dear friend talked me into all this. She made me watch this DVD. Its very compelling and it just might change how you eat too.

FREE on Netflix.

"FORKS OVER 
KNIVES"






No comments:

Post a Comment