Monday, July 7, 2014

"SWEET SUZANNE" 


art of Beth Carver

Last week I read a post from a fellow blogger. She talked about how much she hates being referred to as "sweet"  A friend had offered her a compliment saying "Oh that was sweet of you" and another friend had said she was forgiving. This woman was not flattered. 


All of this made me wince. As a child I remember being called "Sweet Suzanne" I hated that title. When I left for college I was determined to be bold, to be seen as intelligent, to be a little sassy. 

I set out to change my image and  I succeeded. Now, on the other side of mid-life, having raised a family with two sons and three daughters, I have a very different perspective.



I truly value the peacemaker, the person who never speaks thoughtlessly, one who is full of kindness.

I don't think sweet means boring, or a loss of identity. It means we come at people, circumstances and problems in a gentle way... the calming force in a sea of drama. All these years later I approach each day with three goals... to be kind, to be patient and above all to censor what comes out of my mouth. 

It is a journey I continue to travel. It feels so good to leave work at the end of the day without regret. Life's a circle... I would love to be called "Sweet Suzanne" again.

I love this quote by T.S. Elliot... 

"... and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

No comments:

Post a Comment