Wednesday, April 9, 2014


CHANGE IS IN THE WIND...
I'm just not sure which directions it is blowing

Here is my deepest darkest secret... I LIKE CHANGE. I'm pretty sure its a character flaw.  I do have constants in my life... faith, family, creativity and teaching but within that framework I love to shake it up.  When my children were little they would laugh when people would ask about our Christmas traditions... "Oh we don't have any. My mom likes to do something different every year." The only constant was... WE CELEBRATED CHRISTMAS!


Even though I'm very sentimental about family I wanted to surround us with something new. I think a destination Christmas is a perfect idea.

My mother was a traditionalist and I, being her only daughter, was expected to follow suit. Our Thanksgiving dinners were identical  every year, right down to the parsnips with bacon and the sweet potatoes with brown sugar and mini marshmallow.  Imagine my delight when I discovered you could bake a sweet potato and then drench it in butter with salt and cracked pepper... YUM!

This little "flaw" has followed me all my life.  I have taught 2nd grade, sold skin care, designed t-shirts, taught piano, owned a cookie decorating business and now I work as the children's librarian. Its not that I wasn't successful, I was. Its that after a while, I get bored and I want to move on.



I have asked myself a million times ... "why can't I just pick something and stick with it for 30 years?"  I don't know, I just can't.  Maybe the things I've picked were not authentic with who I really am. I am past mid-life and I have to figure this out.

So, once again I have come to the fork in the road.  I'm bored! I know that change is coming but I have no idea what direction the wind is blowing or how I should set my sails.

Winds from the east... Mist comin' in... Like somethin' was brewin', about to begin...
Bert from Mary Poppins





I just heard about this new books by Marlo Thomas... It Ain't Over till its Over   There are 400 pages of stories by women who have re-invented their lives at a variety of ages. Most were 40 and older.  I bought it from Amazon and I can hardly wait for it to arrive.

Hope this book helps me unlock my future.


Have you re-invented your life? I would love to hear your story or your advise.



No comments:

Post a Comment