Tuesday, April 22, 2014

 LIFE BEGAN IN A GARDEN...

  
The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,
One is nearer God's Heart in a garden,
Than anywhere else on earth
Dorothy Frances Blomfield Gurney

Frances Gurney was born October 4, 1858 outside London to parents who were both Anglican priests. When she married, she and her husband converted to Catholicism. 

Deeply religious, she spent her life writing poetry and hymns. Her best known poem (above) is entitled "God's Garden." It was inspired by Lord Ronald Gower's exquisite garden at Hammerfield Penshurst. 
 
AN ENGLISH GARDEN

FRANCES GURNEY
A handwritten copy of her poem (circa 1925) was discovered in a book on the Church of England's Liberal Evangelicals in 2010. These little lines have been copied, engraved and written on walls in gardens all over the world. 


 






I am looking forward to my annual "family yard work day" when all my children and grandchildren come to help. I just can't do it myself anymore. We will be planting some flowering cherry trees, some Oklahoma Redbuds and hopefully getting the veggies in the ground. It is such a reality check to grow your own food.  I love it!


Even as I'm typing, there is a pretty big storm howling outside and the heater just kicked on. Spring is so unpredictable!



No comments:

Post a Comment