Thursday, April 17, 2014

REMEMBERING VICTORIA MAGAZINE... 

Last week I heard someone mention Victoria Magazine. 


I was a little startled since I hadn't thought about it for a couple of years. I went up stairs to my guest bedroom and there they were... every issue from the beginning until the time Nancy Lindemeyer left as editor in chief.

 










The first publication was released the winter of 1987/1988  The second came the following October. 

 Phrases like "Autumn... A Sentimental Journey" and "Come Gather at Our Table" only peeked my appetite for what lay inside. Beautiful photography, travel, recipes, fashion and regular features such as "favorite things" and "Children's Corner" allowed me a sense of anticipation that was never met with disappointment. 


Toshi Otsuki's artistic eye produced photographs that took my breath away. I wanted my home to look like his pictures.

Carefully chosen artists and writers in residence allowed personal glimpses into their private lives and passions. 







The year they photographed Christmas at Tasha Tudors, we got to see her light real candles on her tree. Nancy, Toshi and the crew kept a fire extinguisher close at hand. 












Reading Victoria Magazine transported me to another place and time, one where I was engulfed in all things feminine and beautiful. 
I planned my children's weddings with Victoria magazines and books as my "bible".  We even built a maypole for my daughter's reception. We literally had ribbons dancing in the breeze.


Nancy Lindemeyer was the heart and soul of the magazine and when she left in the year 2000 it was a sad day. The magazine continued for another two years but it was never the same.

Not wanting it to end, I held onto all my issues. I re-read them from time to time and I always find something inspirational. It is a decade I cherish.


Here's a link to Nancy's current journal...


The complete collection of the original Victoria Magazine are available to purchase on DVD.  The cost is $99.  Follow the link... http://www.hoffmanmediastore.com/victoria-complete-collection-dvd.html


No comments:

Post a Comment